What is Lasik or PRK Xtra?
It is a new procedure which combines LASIK or PRK and corneal cross-linking.
The aim of Xtra treatment is restoring strength to the cornea, increasing stability in visual outcomes and the accuracy of the refractive correction.
Xtra treatment has been shown to significantly improve post-refractive stability when compared to LASIK or PRK alone. This has been shown for both myopic and hyperopic refractive treatments.
The steps of the Xtra Procedure
- Creation of the LASIK flap (At PRK we do not create a flap but we remove the corneas epithelium )
- Excimer ablation
- Drops of riboflavin formulation carefully applied to the stromal bed for a few minutes
- The riboflavin is rinsed from the stroma using balanced salt solution
- The LASIK flap at lasik procedure is repositioned into place
- A UV source apply a dose of irradiation through the closed flap
- In the case of PRK a bandage lens is placed for few days after the end of the procedure.